Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Start painting and the ideas will come!

68 consecutive days of 100+ degree heat = 
lots of time in the studio.  
I have been working on a batch of  12 small format Lake images using photos and sketches of Lake Travis, outside of Austin TX, from 5 years ago. These miraculously appeared on my old Sony memory stick one day after cleaning out my studio closet.  I knew I had the references, but I had to do some digging to find them. 
Since I have a commission having to do with this subject, I decided to continue experimenting with H2Oils over an acrylic underpainting to bring the project to completion. 
I began on canvas which had been gessoed with a blue tint.  You can see bits peeking through.   I have to say that the H2Oils are "easy" compared to the acrylics.  They go on over the top of the acrylic under painting like butter if combined with a suitable medium.  The down side, of course, is the drying time.  I use an H2Oil linseed oil and a bit of Liquin. 
The painting pictured here is roughly 87% complete.  I'll post it again once complete.

10 x 10 x 1.25" Original mixed medium on canvas
12 x 6 x .75" Original mixed medium on canvas
 I had several 6 x 12 x .75" canvases laying around so after I finished up and my palette was a wreck, I mixed the leftovers into a nice grey blend and painted in loose mid tone sketches.  We haven't seen anything resembling rainclouds this summer, so these are my rain prayer paintings.
Happy Painting to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment