Friday, August 19, 2011

Best of both worlds

I have been working with a new "experiment" of mixed medium painting which comes form years of working with watercolors, acrylics, H2Oils, and now Oils. I started with 4 x 4" canvas panels and moved on to larger formats for a commission piece.  My motivation is to use ALL of the art materials in my studio by the end of 2011.  The new work will be shown at Austin Art Space Gallery this fall, where I will be available for small group lessons this fall.  If you are interested contact me through my website.   
My exploration include comparing the various H2Oils on the market and after a couple weeks I found a medium that is not sticky and dries in about 4 days.   I have also used the old stand by, Liquin, as a quick dry in the final layer. 
Images are works in process...working my way around a split primary color wheel from dark cool to light warm, starting with acrylic washes, over textured acrylic gesso, the moving on to transparent layers of  H2Oils.  No fumes, no messy clean up.  The best of both worlds!  Next the warm tones.  

1 comment: