Monday, August 8, 2011

Roots in the Southwestern USA

In keeping with my resolution to use ALL of the materials in my studio I began work on 2,  8 x 10 x .75" collage pieces today.  When I had gotten to a drying point I experimented with digital filters and use of an containment border.
The finished collage pieces on view and available for collection at the upcoming AVAA Show Austin TX.
Bucking the Texan Myth
A Contemporary Redefinition of Who We Are  
Juried by Bob Coffee
 Exhibition Dates: August 12 - Sept 10, 2011
Opening Reception: Saturday, August 13, 2011, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Digital image of original, giclee prints available
Digital image of original, giclee prints available


My roots to the Southwestern United States came through in these two collage pieces, and that is why I love to set a side a week every once in a while to work without a preconceived concept in mind. Once I began to see a sort of blanket image in the work I added hues based on the Navajo colors for the cardinal directions.  This type of work is like a bridge for me to get from one idea to the next.  How do you make the transition? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment