Thursday, July 8, 2010

My process steps for painting the Aspen trees for "Poet Tree"

Recently a friend asked me to describe my painting process for the Aspen Series which will be featured at studio2gallery in Austin, TX

Hmmm... I had to think about it.
It is more than just painting an image. It is the search for the image, the inspiration for the image, the motivation to keep the inspiration tucked away from the daily routine, and finally the actual physical application. So here is my process as it applies to the current Aspen Series paintings.

1-Buy plane ticket to Albuquerque, NM and rent a car.
2-Drive US HWY 550 to Durango, CO  (which in my case is my home town so I get to visit family too!)
3-Be so lucky as to have a family member(s) who will drive you up into the high country of CO.
4-Lie down on your back in the middle of the forest and shoot hundreds of pics from every angle
5-Close your eyes and breath.  Listen.
6-Repeat steps 3-5
7-Drive US HWY 550 back to Albuquerque, NM (which in my case is also home to friends that I can visit)
8-Sketch from memory and pics in airport.
9-Choose images and canvas size
10-Choose a color and gesso the canvas
11-Using references, apply initial sketch
 
All of these steps are interspersed with the multitude of other events in my daily routine of life, but it's the artistic process that gives my life purpose and excitement! 
What is your process? How do you gather your inspiration and imagery?
Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment