Tuesday, April 27, 2010

To see far is one thing: going there is another-Brancusi

The title quote is from my "Art and Fear" David Bayles and Ted Orlando.   It seems to say it all about making art, getting it out the door to the public eye, and having the tenacity to get back into process.

 Whenever I finish a large painting or group of paintings, there is an uncomfortable lull in the process...I spend time puttering about in the studio, looking at images I've gathered, sketching, thinking, walking, get out and take a look at other art work, etc. etc... "incubating" the next set of images, all the while feeling a bit let down and lost. Of course, if every time I finished a painting, it sold immediately, I'm sure I would be painting right now.
It's not as painful as it used to be, and the time I spend in the lull is less, so my question is, how do all of you get back into process once the previous process has become product?

"Artists don't get back to work until the pain of working is exceeded by the pain of not working."-Stephen DeStaebler


  Onward into the yellow!

No comments:

Post a Comment