Monday, February 20, 2012

Thoughts on Solitude

Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.-Winston Churchill (1874-1965) British politician

"Solitude" 16 x 20" Acrylic under painting on board
 
Most days I am OK with the solitude necessary to being a visual artist.  Other days, like today, I have to force myself to face it.  I have to will myself to accept it.  I want to go out and do anything but be alone in my studio all day.  It takes everything I have to stay in and paint. I wonder how I have ever done this...and why.  
Then I begin.  Once engaged in the process, the weight of solitude shifts, the muse settles in for the time being and I sense how amazingly odd it is to pull something from my soul and set it out on canvas. For the time being, I am not alone. 
Today I continued work on my new series of tree and moon images.  I had painted over the "moons" which I had previously mono printed onto the substrates.  I used four Chroma Interactive acrylic pigments for this step.  I love the versatility of this product.  If you don't like it you can reactivate or remove the pigments. My final step will be to paint a layer of oils over the acrylic under painting.  I'll post the final paintings on my website.  I am going out now.  Enough solitude already!
Meanwhile, a positive thought on the subject: "It is good to be solitary, for solitude is difficult. That something is difficult must be one more reason for us to do it." ~Rainer Maria Rilke
What are your thoughts on solitude?










No comments:

Post a Comment