Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Plein Air Painting in RMNP


What a wonderful and refreshing course of study with Kansas artists John Hulsey and Ann Trusty of Perspectives from the Artist's Road  http://www.theartistsroad.net/categories/perspectivesweeklypostcard 
in RMNP http://rockymountainnationalpark.com/ above Estes, Colorado. 





I have walked through the park with my camera, but not until I stopped to paint it, did I really see what was there.  It was an interesting experience because folks stopped by our group of painters to take pics of us painting.  Deer wandered through our set up locations, and a mother bear with cubs passed by us as we set up by a creek to paint.  


I have a new appreciation for what it means to be a plein air painter now. It is work packing all that gear into a set up spot. Then you have to narrow the incredibly beautiful and huge landscape before your eyes into a small viewfinder and thumbnail sketch. Next set up the tripod, palette, and various tools.Then comes the fun part. For me the process of painting "plein air" became a sort of bliss like state in which time ceased to exist.  

I agree with John, "a day painting outdoors is worth a week in the studio..." , and I eagerly await my next plein air paint out! 
Happy painting to all wherever you are!



No comments:

Post a Comment