Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Reflections on reflections

This morning as I viewed all of the paintings in my studio in various stages of completion, I gave up a preconceived notion based on the idea that I would paint 3, 30 x 10" Texas skyscapes.  I always begin a studio session by looking at each piece through the lens of my camera, and rotating each image.  Reducing and rotating the image gives new insights, and can assist with correcting composition.  I had one sky scape that was very soft and when I turned it upside down and placed it under one of the other 3 
skyscapes it made a gorgeous reflection of the sky and water.  Now I have a diptych and one piece is finished.   Today's little gem of wisdom, which is much easier to say than to do, at least for me:  Always be willing to give up the "plan" and let the painting take on a life of it's own.  Another, for me, would be get off the computer and paint so that is what I'm doing now.  Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment