Thursday, July 29, 2010

"Equinox" and going with the flow

As you know I've been working on 3, 24 x 24 x 1.25" canvases with tree images for an upcoming show at studio2gallery in Austin TX.  Two of them are 90% finished and this is when I like to put them on view at home and look for small compositional errors, then it's time for the final layer: a fun spontaneous indirect application which for me has to be done early in the morning when my energy is "clean".
Meanwhile, as always, the current keeps flowing and I've found myself drawn to abstract earth images which I am including in my Sacred Earth Series.
If these 2, 16 x 20" acrylic collage on canvas could speak they would tell quite a tale. They began in a workshop a couple of years ago, then went to another course of instruction with me and finally I completed them in my studio.  Not sure where they fit in to my body of work, I rolled them up and tucked them away in my studio closet.  As it turns out they are perfect for an upcoming resident's how at Austin Art Space GalleryThey have inspired me to continue with this application to create more similar images which contain aspects of earth and ocean, the intense colors of the Southwestern USA and cool hues of the Pacific. 
Here's to finding unexpected inspiration tucked away in the studio closet.  "...the seed for your next work lies embedded in the (perceived) imperfections of your current work...your guides...It is precisely this interaction between the ideal and the real that locks your art in the real world and gives meaning to both"-Art and Fear, Bayles and Orland

No comments:

Post a Comment