Thursday, April 1, 2010

When the muse has flown...draw your way back into the energy

A question that has been floating among my circle of artist friends this week is "How do you recharge when the "muse has flown"?  You know, that gut level excitement that makes us want to get up early and get into the studio...well sometimes it's not there. 


What to do?  This is when I grab my pastel pencils and draw my way back into the fun.  I use contour line applied directly to the canvas surface.  After a few layers of Chroma Interactives, there's a toothy, yet forgiving surface.  I love to practice not picking the line up, and just focus on the process.  I also "color code" my land/sky scapes with pastels when I'm not sure what to do next.  After the energy intensive process of big brush painting on large canvas, the drawing in process is soothing and lays a path for the next layer of paint. You can see how the second image has a bit more "magic".  Since pastel is pure pigment it will melt into my next paint layer.
Please share with me your ways of getting back into the flow!  Meanwhile, Happy painting!
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Marilyn,
    Funny you should ask this question.
    I had recently lost my mojo and excitment until I went on a weeks holiday.
    Well, I've come back rested, relaxed, and with 450 photo's to use as reference material and a list a mile long with new painting ideas!
    Ah, now I just need to find more hours in each day to achieve all my paintings on the list.
    Hugs,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anna Rosa-
    Where did you go on your vacation? I think travel is one of the best ways to recharge the creative energy. I'm overdue for a vacation. I go home to Colorado in the summer from Texas, and the southwestern USA is my childhood home, I always return refreshed, and with new ideas.
    Happy painting and thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The result of getting out of your slump is truly lovely Marilyn! Such soft delicate colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comment! I will post the finished piece soon!

    ReplyDelete